Hi John,

Hooray! It's supposed to feel awkward at first --all changes of habit
do. It was a good idea to put the guitar on the back burner while you
suss this out --no sense in confusing your hand more than necessary.

I won't address all your concerns here (I have to leave for work soon
and I'm hoping others will add a few notes) but I do want to warn you
about a trap I fell into for a few years.

About that pinky glue: It's easy to anchor that pinky down and to lean
into it for stability. Try to resist this! Your hand should be about
the same shape as a natural hand at rest but in front of a lute. The
pinky might protrude a little but it should only _just_ contact the
lute, giving your brain feedback that 'Oh, the lute belly is about
here'.

If the hand starts to anchor through the pinky lots of tension habits
will start to form. That little contact should be free to move about a
few inches as you work your scales up and down from the 6th course to
the 1st. What can also loosen up this contact is to have a light
contact for your right fore arm as well. What will facilitate both
these ideas is to not arch the hand up and let the the arm approach a
parallelness to the strings (as looking from your head down). The
lute's neck may have to move away from you a little to make this
happen.

I believe there are some small images on Jacob Heringmann's website as
well as at the LSA website.

http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~lsa/download/index.html#video

Good luck!

Sean