Hi Anthony -

 If you look at my web page of pictures of lute players,
which is arranged chronologically,

http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~wbc/icon/1500.html

 you will see that the angle of the forearm prograssed
slowly in time (from 1500 to 1600) like the hand on
a clock.  From 8:00 to noon.  When playing a small instrument with
a plectrum, or even with fingers, the forearm is angled
low to hold the instrument.

  Other web pages of old paintings of lute players tend
to not be arranged by the date, and so you may miss this
transition if you are not careful to look for it.

        Wayne