I tried a piece of cling film. It was alright as far as lightness and
contact, at least you could feel the sound-board through it. I think
that may be important, but it tends to make your finger too hot and
also very humid. I thought of using a mini chamois leather, or micro-
pore, glove; but then you will no longer feel the sound-board. That
is the problem that I think you may have with the rubber glovelet.
Also, you wouldn't want anything that can damp resonances at all.
Are there any ideas about a material which is ultra-thin and
breathable that might play this role?

On two slightly different topics.
I have seen lutists using a wooden tool to turn pegs. I wouldn't mind
buying one of these myself; however, is there not a risk of breaking
a peg or even the peg-box?

I have not noticed any paintings of lute players showing them with a
lute strap, and yet most players use a strap today. Might these be
absent from paintings, but nevertheless have been used when the
lutist actually played? Are there any signs on the old lutes
themselves that straps were indeed used?

There seem to be many ways of wearing these straps. Some lutists seem
to wear them extremely tight, so that the lute is held extremely high
and it remains quite stable.
Also as a result of the high position the lute is nearer the players
ears.
Others seem to wear them longer, but stabilize the lute with a knee,
or use a second strap on which they sit. Would either of these
methods be beneficial or tend to inhibit resonance?

I have noticed that the lute remains most stable when the strap is
tied nearer the extremity of the peg-box.
Furthermore, some people use colourful cloth material, while others
use a very solid guitar-strap. Is it just the case of 'use what works
for you", or are there serious reasons for adopting a particular
method? If there is any trace of straps in earlier use, would one of
these methods be more authentic?
At present, I am going for the tighter high lute position with a
widish strap, simply because I don't want to carry about secondary
straps or foot-stools.
Anthony