On May 31, 2007, at 7:38 PM, Howard Posner wrote:

> On Thursday, May 31, 2007, at 13:55 America/Los_Angeles, Ron Fletcher
> wrote:
>
>> In my opinion lute-tablature can only be written by someone who can
>> play the
>> lute.
>
> Probably true, but that doesn't stop a lute-illiterate from being the
> author of lute music.

Or from playing it!  I'm reminded of a classical guitar concert I
attended last year which included an Alman by Robert Johnson.  The
guitarist proudly announced:  "I transcribed it for guitar from the
piano arrangement."

> Thomas Morley said he couldn't play the lute.
> He probably wrote lute parts in keyboard notation and had someone
> transcribe into tablature.

Absolutely.  And it works either way:  I could write out Phillips's
Pavan in staff notation even though I'm not much of a pianist.
Well, maybe someone "back then" transcribed Phillips's Pavan from a
keyboard arrangement.

As to Stephen's original question:  as far as I know (which is not
far at all!) there's no version of Phillips's Pavan known to be in
his own hand.  All the sources tell us is that some people back then
listed the piece as written by Phillips, and some simply put his name
to it for whatever reason.  One thing's for sure:  it's not listed
anywhere as "Anonymous"...

David Rastall
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.rastallmusic.com