There are inherent differences in comparing these 2 styles of baroque
lutes.  The Hoffman is usually a deeper,  more vaulted instrument, &
perhaps a bit narrower, as compared to the Burkholtzer, which is wider at
the waist, and shallower in the bowl.  I have used a 13 course Burkholtzer
since 1984 ( for 23 years), and I never tire of it.

I very much enjoy the sound of the Burkholtzer, as in my opinion, it has a
very rich, warm  sound, not in any way nasal.  In contrast, I find the
Hoffman sound brighter, and having more reverberation or echo like
characteristics, due to the deep bowl.

In addition to the 2 shapes, there is a great deal of variance in modern
makers.  A Burkholtzer of Hoffman from one builder will sound different
from the identical models from different builders.

Personal taste is a factor as well.

ed