Dear Anthony,

I have not tried KF for the 6th course but I am pretty certain it would
be too stiff.

As far as transitions from one course to another are concerned, I think
you need to make the 5th course brighter, not compromise the 4th course
by making it duller.  Having an octave on the 5th but not the 4th can
sound very good (and I think is also historically appropriate,
especially for Cutting, Holborne, and even Dowland).

I too had good experiences with the "Venice" strings from Aquila.  I
used them for the 5th and 6th courses on a small lute (53.5cm) and they
were fine.  I must try them on a 60cm lute.

I am experimenting with "Real Gut" strings from George Stoppani and
Oliver Webber (see http://www.stoppani.co.uk/Real_Gut_Strings.htm).
Very brown in colour but surprisingly clear against the light, like very
high twist strings.  My impression so far is that they are about the
same in terms of flexibility as Larson's "pistoys".

I don't think the 5th is a particularly difficult course.  All-gut
stringing simply gets more difficult as you go further down into the
bass.  String trueness and flexibility are essential, irrespective of
the tension used.  Low tension can be useful because it means a thinner
(and therefore more flexible) string, so there is a tradeoff between
what might be the best tension (for a wound string, say) and what might
give the best sound for a gut string.  It's also worth trading a little
bit of volume for more sustain.  On a 9c lute I went down to about 20N
for the 9th course, paired with a higher tension octave, and that seemed
to give better results than a higher tension fundamental.

Best wishes,

Martin