Dear Ron and Stephen
        In fact such spelling variation has continued in registers even up
to recent periods.
My family used to have a middle name Stobo-Hind" and my father
continued to
keep this name. A member of the family trying to trace the origin of
the name discovered
that it could also be written "Stoboe" by some members of the family.
Obviously, the spelling of the word "go" and the
word "toe", mean that both can have the same pronunciation.
It is only when there a strong bureaucratic reasons for doing so that
names tend to get fixed, also in some cases the effect
  of printing; but for that you have to be famous or infamous, which
I suppose Stobos were not.

Variant spelling possibilities are one reason for the variations in
names, but during the Renaissance
there was enormous variation in pronunciation due to vowel changes
and consonant loss.
These are still felt today in variant pronunciations of the name Van
Gogh (US "Van go"
English RP Van gof) for example. The loss of the Germanic
pronunciation of "gh" (as [X], or ch) in most dialects of English
gave us variants such as "Duff" Northern English, but "Dough"
pronounced "doe", Southern English.

This situation was very unstable at the Renaissance, and we see
rhymes in Shakespeare which prove this.
In the Winter's Tale( Act IV sc1 l.27-30) Shakespeare rhymes
<daughter> with <after>:

   Enter TIME, the Chorus

                                                ...What of her ensues

                         I list not prophesy, but let Time's news

                         Be known when 'tis brought forth. A
sheperd's daughter,

                         And what to her adheres(belongs) which
follows after,

                         Is the argument of (plot of the play) of
Time. Of this allow

                         If ever you have spent time worse ere now.

But in Lucrece.  he rhymes daughter with slaughter:

22) l.953                     To show the beldame daughters of her
daughter

                                    To make the child a man, the man
a child

                                    To slay the tiger that doth live
by slaughter

In the case of -ng-, these letters, in old English correspond to the
pronunciation of two sounds (as it still does today in

some areas of the Midlands, where they pronounce the G in "singer".
The G has been lost in standard English.

Even in the Midlands, In the case of "sing" the G is often dropped,
because it is not followed by a vowel;

or it is pronounced with a slight supporting 'e" sound following.
Perhaps the "Pickeringe" spelling implies that Jane might have continued

pronouncing that final "G" and the "e" is almost phonetic, indicating
the presence of the weak vowel "supporting" the "G".

Just an idea, perhaps quite mistaken.

Regards

Anthony