Dear all,

On 6/21/2007, "Peter Martin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> See Narvaez's "Los seys libros del Delphin", 1538 (or is it Narbaez?).  It
> has a picture of a large dolphin cresting the waves with a vihuelist on its
> back (Arion, I believe), so not royalty in this case.

In renaissance world picture everything, everything, had its position in
hierarchy. Dolphins (or whales) were the highest creatures underwater.
Perhaps the reason for dolphins high postion was its ability to go over
its sphere (the sea) for a while. Sometimes the most able human beings
were compared to dolphins because they were also (for a short time) able
to go to the spheres of  the lowest angels, and understand more than
normal men.

There is a nice page of "The Chain of Being"
  http://web.cn.edu/kwheeler/Tillyard01.html
describing Tillyard's famous work about the world picture of renaissance.

All the best,

Arto