On Sun, Jun 17, 2007, Michael <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> I've seen some lutes that have ribs that are 'scalloped', i.e. somewhat
> cupped in from the lines where the ribs meet.

I understand that this is a side effect of glueing parchment strips to the
back of each rib joint.

I found it challenging to emulate the look of it on the body of a rebec
carved from the solid in cherry.  I roughed the body into a smooth
half-pear using plane, spokeshave, rasp and scraper; then setup
length-wise battens and marked the lines in pencil.  Many hours later
working with both straight and kidney scrapers gave me scallops with the
edges where they made fair curves and a nicely symetrical shape, well,
about as symetrical as any 'boat' ever gets.  Oh, yes, I used some carving
tools and knives to shape the fiddly bits where the end clasp covers the
rib ends.  Someday I will do the top, take pictures, and publish to
MIMF.com.

--
Dana Emery