From: Michael <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Lute-builder list" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [LUTE-BUILDER] Continuous endclasps?
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 17:38:11 -0700

I have seen a couple of lute photos where the endclasp continues all the way
around and meets the neckblock on both sides.  This seems useful (in terms
of doubling the width of the gluing surface for the belly) but also
anomalous, i.e. I don't recall seeing this on any of the historical lute
pictures I have seen.

Is there any record of a historical lute with an endclasp that goes all the
way around the sides of the lute, or is this a modern invention?  Aside from
the (what I presume is) inauthenticity, are there any specific reasons to
avoid this sort of thing?  Trouble doing repairs later, diminished sound
output, that sort of thing?

 - Michael