Calata.
A 16th-century dance. The derivation of the term is obscure, but could be
from a region in Transylvanian Romania; from the Italian calare (‘descend’,
to ‘lower’, to ‘fall’); from the Spanish calado, referring to figures of the
Spanish church dances, in which rows of dancers interweave or intersect each
other; from the Italian callota (calotta) (‘skull cap’); or from the Italian
calle (‘path’, ‘way’ or ‘narrow street’ in Venice; cf the German Gassenhauer
and Spanish passacalle). In a poem of about 1420 Prudenzani cited the
playing of ‘calate de maritima et compagnia’, interpreted by Debenedetti as
referring to dance-songs of these regions. Solerti mentioned that the calata
was danced at the court of Florence as late as 1615. Few musical examples
are still extant. They extend in time from the manuscript F-Pn Rés.Vm 27
(c1505; facs. (Geneva, 1981) with introduction by F. Lesure) and Dalza's
lutebook of 1508 (see BrownI) to Montesardo's guitar tablature of 1606 and
the manuscript guitar tablature D-HR III 4½ 20 1046 (c1700). Dalza closed
his book with 13 examples, the first for two lutes. Most are in duple metre
and have regular phrases. Of the six that he qualified ‘spagnola’, three are
in triple metre. Other qualifying words in the titles include ‘de stramboti’
(no.3) and ‘ditto terzetti’ (no.13), hinting at an association with strophic
texts.

BIBLIOGRAPHY
BrownI

SolertiMBD

S. Debenedetti: Il ‘Sollazzo’: contributi alla storia della novella, della
poesia musicale e del costume nel Trecento (Turin, 1922)

L.H. Moe: Dance Music in Printed Italian Lute Tablatures from 1507 to 1611
(diss., Harvard U., 1956)