Here is another interesting continuo link. I've uploaded for a few days only
the article by John Walter Hill on 'Realised Continuo Accompaniments from
Florence, c.1600' (Early Music April 1983).

www.rmguitar.info/temp.htm

It is a large file, over 7 megabites, but the main point can be extracted
here. Hill located many lute/theorbo/keyboard realization of songs by
Caccini and others of that period, and found (big intake of breath) parallel
octaves and fifths. Those who claim to playing 'authentic' realizations by
following written rules about omitting such things, might have to have a
rethink...

>>>Yet these
parallelisms are found frequently in nearly every one
of these Florentine realizations, whether for archlute
or keyboard. It is often overlooked that even Viadana.
the church musician. wrote, in 1602. 'The organ part is
never under any obligation to avoid two Sths or two
octave^'.'^ Guidotti. in his preface to Cavalieri's Rappresentazione
di anima et di cop0 (Rome. 1 600), says 'two
Sths are taken as occasion demands'. Caccini in his
preface to Euridice (Florence, I6OO), writes 'I have not
avoided the succession of two octaves or two 5th~'.
Vincenzo Galilei, in his Dialogo of 158 1 ,26 had advised
them all that two or more perfect consonances consecutively
are to be allowed when three or more parts
are sounding, advice upon which he elaborates in a
treatise of c1590 in this way: 'The law of modern
contrapuntists that prohibits the use of two octaves or
two 5ths is a law truly contrary to every natural law of
singing [solo song^].<<<

Parallel octaves and fifths in 'NEARLY EVERY ONE'!

Also note references to chords lacking any kind of third - just roots and
fifths, in other words 'power chords' - much decried by the two Davids on
this list.

Rob MacKillop

www.rmguitar.info