Nobody answered because it is a hard question to answer.  Most of these
places sell things they call lutes that are from Pakistan and, seriously,
are not worth the bother... the extra time and money needed to get these up
to playing capability is usually not worth it, and many people who start
with these instruments often get so frustrated that they do not continue
playing.  For a beginner I've read dozens of times that it is better to get
a guitar and practice the 6-course repertoire than it is to disillusion
yourself with a cheap lute.

You might want to look at this page, where you can read the stories of two
people who fixed up cheap lutes, and decide for yourself if it's worth it.

           http://john.redmood.com/improvebargainlute.html

Good luck,

  Michael