Just a little comment outside the discussion.

I think, as plucked instrumentalists, sometimes we forget how
fortunate we are to have nylgut and other synthetics to play with. At
least we have the option! Have you ever wondered how viol players
cope with only gut? We have to change our top gut string every 2-3
weeks (because it breaks), and when it gets all false, we have to
change at least the top 4 gut strings to be in tune. That's easily
$100 a month on strings. On the theorbo at least, I sometimes think
it doesn't really matter what strings you use, because in the context
of larger ensemble work, diapasons are what really matters, and those
on gut can last and be heard.