Good question, Leonard.  I use Pistoys on almost all my lutes, for the 5th
& 6th courses.  The Pistoy is a very flexible string, and therefore, the
most "in tune" fundamental bass string in gut.  My Bb's even up to the 7th
course, are wonderfully in tune, that is, the fundamental & octave are
together.

Maybe the octave has gone false.  Check it out!  That often happens, and a
new octave can remedy it.  If not, the Pistoy may have gone false.  That
does not happen often, but it does happen.

ed