David
        Sorry about my delay in getting back to you, but I had that niggling
buzz problem on the 4th course for a few months, and I would not want
to give my lute to anyone else than the maker. However, he is in
England, which could mean some time without it, horrible thought!
So I really did want to understand what the problem might be.

To come back to your Vallet:
        Listening to your sets of recordings, as always, is interesting. It
suddenly struck me that in the past, most hifi was made with an array
of filters so that the listener could tweak the sound to their
liking. If that were still the case, then a very direct recording
without any added reverb could be compensated for on the home system
for those who want it. However, filters, just like added reverb, do
tend to degrade the sound, so most filters have been removed from
standard hifi.

I happen to have an old Sony CD player that actually has three
inbuilt switchable digital filters that were supposed to allow a
choice of presentation without any degradation. In fact, there is
degradation, and I now cut out the Sony DAC by sending it through an
independent DAC with minimal digital filtering and no pre-
amplification within it (transistors or valves), only voltage gain
transformers. It is far superior. There is no added electronic  glow
or glare of any kind, and the lute sounds more natural than I have
ever heard it before on CD.

Having said that, I agree with your 1m50 preference, and fairly
direct mic placement, we do want to hear the lute mainly, and only
incidentally the room acoustics; but I still haven't put my speakers
back on my computer.
I then thought that, if you were going to eventually make your
recordings available for download, rather than on a CD, you could do
something very similar to what you have done here, and offer at least
two versions (no reverb/reverb), according to taste. I have never
seen that potential used on the net, but why not.

I know which I would download, however.
Regards
Anthony