I think there is a spacial communication you get hearing the music
live that will never be there on the CD. It includes the ability to
watch the performer's body language and their opportunity to feel the
communication coming back from the audience. This is the reason many
musicians love making live recordings.

But, I think the biggest difference is that in the case of Hoppy and
Dowland (and many other performers) the concert you hear is done
months and years after that CD was recorded and you are indeed
hearing a different performance. The more a master plays the music,
the better it gets.
Nancy Carlin