From: Nancy Carlin [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, August 22, 2007 3:19 PM
To: Anthony Hind; lute@cs.dartmouth.edu
Subject: [LUTE] CDs & touring

As Guy and Tony have said the scheduling of CD
releases and touring are a bit complex. The
record company tried to figure out which albums
they will release when, here in the US sometimes
revolving around the Christmas market, when most
of the CDs are bought. Those Christmas present
CDs will need to be ready to manufacture by
mid-Summer in order to make it into the
distributors catalogs.  Meanwhile the musicians
are booking tours in advance - right now they are
starting to sell concert dates for Sept 2008-May
2009, complete with details on what they will be playing in those concerts.

Both the musicians and record companies are eager
that the CD of the current concert program be
ready and sold at any concerts the musicians
play. In this day and age of the death of record
stores, the impulse buys from concert audiences
are a really important source of income for both
of them.  You could ask a number of musicians,
but I would bet that they would tell you that the
CD that will sell best to a concert audience is
the one that includes music from the concert that
audience has heard.  It will probably sell 2-3
times more than other CDs the musician may be selling at the concert.

In some cases, probably not Hoppy Smith's, the
record company does not want to tie up a lot of
money releasing a CD before the program will be
touring. Meanwhile the musician would like the
record company to put that CD out as soon as
possible, with a good publicity blitz, because
they could book more concerts if the cognisenti
are buzzing about their CD.  We saw a really well
done publicity campaign in the case of Sting's
Dowland CD and the effect it made on
sales.  Unfortunately there are now only about
4-5 record companies that do lute music, who are
big enough to carefully plan out the timing of
tours and CD releases now.  Most of them (Hamonia
Mundi, etc.) work with musicians who tour
regularly and have enough potential buyers for
their CDs that the sales will be reasonable,
whether they come out before or after a
concert.  For example, some of you have already
heard Paul O'Dette's Bach concert. The CD is just
starting to be sold and the reviews to appear in
the publications. HM has done a good job trying
to coordinate this, by sending pre-release CDs
out to places where they want reviews, like the LSA Quarterly.

Nancy