For what it's worth, In 2000 I visited Richard Brune's shop in
Evanston, Ill., and I distinctly recall he told me he had just sold
"Julian Bream's" lute on consignment.  The memory is rather vivid
because I would have loved to have purchased it myself as a memorial
to Bream's introducing me to lute music.  Brune said it had metal
frets.  I've heard elsewhere that Bream's first lute had metal frets.

Steve