On Sep 9, 2007, at 5:43 PM, Rebecca Banks wrote:

>      My Bass Renaissance Lute is arriving soon from Brazil and
> Luciano Faria.  I have a golden wooden flower medallion with a hook
> that I am going to hang on the wall and I am going to tie a velvet
> tie around the throat of the Lute and hang the Lute flat side
> against the wall.  It is a low natural light room, I will regulate
> the humidity with a humidifier and polish and play the wonderful
> art piece regularly.  As to people slathering over my art piece,
> only associates with invitations are allowed admittance, and I
> personally do not know any slatherers,

Slatherers of all kinds are to be avoided at all costs!

Rebecca, I know you want to display your lute for all to see and
admire, I understand that completely, but I think a really good lute
should be kept in the case.  I would never hang my 13-course, or my
beloved 10-course, on the wall.

Actually, I do have a 6-course that I hang on the wall.  Albeit made
by a luthier who is well-known and very highly thought of, it has
been a bit of a disappointment to me.  It has a repaired crack (which
he did not tell me about), and considerable scoring on the neck where
the frets are tied.  Still, it's a good lute to use for ensemble
purposes, so when I'm not using it for that, I hang it on the wall as
a thing of beauty.

DR
[EMAIL PROTECTED]