Dear Karen,

Lute cases have been around for a long time. There is an example in the
paintings of the Master of the Female Half Lengths:

http://www.artcyclopedia.com/artists/master_of_female_half-lengths.html

Click on

Liechtenstein Museum

and it's the fourth picture down:

It is interesting with regard to the present discussion, because it is the
lute case which is hanging on the wall, not the lute. The lute is being
played, which is
the best place for it. The flute cases are in the foreground.

There are other examples of cases. The Raimondi picture of a vihuela da mano
comes to mind:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcantonio_Raimondi

4th picture down. Rather than hanging on a wall, the case is acting as a
footstool.

There must be lots of others.

Bes wishes,

Stewart McCoy.