Haven't read Coelho, but I don't think Vibrato
was old fashioned in Mersenne's time, nor is
Mersenne necessarily the best source.
Mersenne favored vibrato on the violin..
I think Mersenne's quote is about the lute verre
casse, which might refer to vibrato, but might refer to something similar.
(snip from Dolmetch site)
"The verre casse is not used so much now [on the
lute] as it was in the past [partly in reaction]
because the older ones used it almost all the
time. But [it cannot be dispensed with and] must
be used in moderation ... the left hand must
swing with great violence [the thumb being free of the neck]."

  However, it is not a sure thing that verre
casse means exactly what we call vibrato, and
certainly could refer to the sideways pulling of
the string, in addition to other ornaments. Since
M favored vibrato on the violin, it seems likely
that these are two *related* effects., and that
the violin one is closer to modern vibrato.

For the Renaissance, the Ganassi and Agricola are
the most interesting I have seen so far; some of this is on the Dolmetch site.

Regola Rubertina 1542
"And the bow will execute sad music in a light
manner, and to whisperings shake the bow arm and
the fingers of the fingerboard hand in order to
make the effect conform to sad and sorrowful music."

dt