Nigel
I agree with Ed, it takes a few months for Pistoy an Venice to come up/down to their final thickness. The more supple a string, the more it will finally stretch and end up slightly thinner. The surface texture will also change slightly over that period, so that such a string may improve even over a year or so.

Ed was speaking about the advantage of low tension-thinner strings, just a few weeks ago. Perhaps that is another area to investigate, but I think it means playing closer to the bridge. I have not tried that myself, so I really just throw that out as a suggestion.

Just a few weeks ago, I heard a young player with a lute strung in gut; and to me it sounded excellent. The player was completely new to gut and could not stand the touch or the sound of it. I think it is like many things, you come to expect a particular feel and sound, and anythig which is slightly different seems abnormal (just think of people's habits with tea and coffee).
Regards
Anthony