And besides- metal frets will quickly chew up your precious gut strings.
Not very economical.......
RT

----- Original Message ----- From: "Daniel Shoskes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Mathias Rösel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "'Lute List'" <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Sunday, November 04, 2007 5:35 PM
Subject: [LUTE] Re: fret stringing, was: historical lute stringings

The other issue is tuning. Even with equal temperment, there will be
times when the 1st course needs a slightly different fret position
than the lower courses for all to be in tune. I believe it's related
to the fingerboard curvature and to the different thicknesses of the
strings. I often end up with my 13 course having some of the frets on
a slight diagonal.

DS