Dear Goeran and All,

I agree with Ron that this piece needs major surgery, and the editors of CLMJD have sometimes made things worse rather than better. My copy of Poulton is covered in pencil annotations, which I can't really do justice to in a list, but these are the main features:

It is strange that the third entry of the subject (bar 2, 3rd beat) breaks off the way it does - one might have expected at least another complete entry here - is there a missing bar between 2 and 3?

I am dubious about both the notes and the rhythms in bar 4, as there seems to be a bass entry of the subject, but it is again not clear what the solution should be.

The sequence of descending 7-6s in bars 5-6 seems confused - I wonder whether the intention was to follow through the same pattern as beats 2-3 of bar 5 right through to to the dominant D major, that is starting with the bass G at the start of bar 6, continuing the sequence down to the bass D before arriving at the tonic on the last beat of bar 6. I suspect that once again, there might be some missing material, and the bar lines seem confused as a result (both in the original and in CLMJD).

The rhythms of bars 14-16 seem to be a mess. I have a strong suspicion that the first 4 notes of bar 14 should be crotchets rather than quavers, but I can't justify it in any way. Bars 15-16 are clearly wrong, because of the point of imitation - try:

2. 3 2   1  2           2. 3     2
__________a__a_a_________a______________

(1=1 tailer, 2=2tailer, etc.)

The editors of CLMJD have added a beat at the end of bar 19 which is clearly wrong. The bass D is the first note of the subject, continuing into bar 20 (though I would be tempted to repeat the D as two quavers to match the opening phrase and bars 15-16).

The sequence starting halfway through bar 36 has three repetitions of each chord except the first one - I think there should be an extra repetition of the G major at the end of bar 36, a conjecture supported by the original barlines.

Passages with lots of repetition often give scribes a bit of trouble and the last few bars of this piece are no exception. I suggest that the note four notes from the end of bar 45 should be d3 not c3, and in bar 46 the 5th to 8th notes, and the last four chords, should be omitted, giving us the bass G (currently last bar, second beat) as the first note of the last bar.

Comments, anyone?

Martin