Too late! Capirola's 2ยข has been accumulating with compound interest for about 500 years....

"just read Capirola! 'Alla volte el si puo accomodarsi su la corde contrabassa su ogni
tasto' (Sometimes one can use it to play the contrabass string on any
fret). Silvestro Ganassi also writes of this practise."

From dt's earlier post...

Dear All:
I'm sorry, but I must say I'm completely unconvinced by the iconography "showing" the use of the thumb to stop the fifth or sixth course. If anyone were to look at a photo of me playing cittern or five-course plectrum lute, they would see much the same thing. If one is playing single-line with a plectrum on an instrument with a narrow neck, that is the most comfortable position for me, and I suspect many others. And much of the iconography appears to be from an early date. Much more convincing are examples of tablature, such as the Francesco item that Arthur brought up, that would be very difficult or impossible using standard fingering but feasible using the thumb on the sixth course.
 Just my two cents....
Cheers,
Jim