"The music will sound much more lute-like at that pitch." This
statement is misleading. Why would a Terz guitar (guitars scaled to
"G", built in the early 19th century and also sometimes seen in
Mariachi bands) or a capoed E instrument sound more "lute-" like than
my old E bass lute? Even a "G" lute at historic pitch levels (another
can of worms to be sure) will really be f# at its highest pitch, and
possibly as low as E if you credit A=370 as a legitimate historic
pitch. At G, (A=440) you actually have an A lute at an historic
pitch- nothing wrong with that, of course. Just don't pretend that a
particular pitch has anything whatsoever to do with defining an
instrument or its timbre. The only reason to capo a guitar would be
to accommodate left hand fingerings if a particular performer needs
it (hopefully while waiting for his 58cm lute to be built) but it
seems that all dedicated guitarists who like to include Renaissance
lute music in their repertoires have no trouble with the stretches.
-Dan