>Everything about it screams guitar to me: the sound, the nails, the
>general approach. Yes, a guitar that looks a bit like a lute!

To me, everything about it screams liuto attiorbato, like a good many
historical instruments in museums with fingerboard lengths under 60
cm and extension strings of 75-85 cm, played with nails the way
historical Italian players would likely have played it.  In the 90's
Luca Pianca was playing instruments by the Swiss maker Luc Breton. I
don't know if he still is.

BTW, Giardino Armonico is playing here at A=392 (their D is the C on
my wife's piano), so Luca's A would be G at A=440.  The CD recording
of the same concerto that Pianca and Giardino released in 1992 was at
A=415.