And why wouldn't it work without the capo? Ed Martin has addressed
the lute size (and the ever elusive but false "G"eeness obsession of
20 -21st century lutenists)  succinctly and  completely. I would only
add that one reason for the use of tabulature is precisely BECAUSE
the "G" pitch was but one of many legitimate pitches for lutes and
vihuelas, and learning all the transpositions necessary from one
arbitrarily selected default pitch was unworkable for most players.
As a professional player years ago, I did learn to read double-staff
notated music for lutes in G. As a previously trained classical
guitarist it wasn't hard to read staff notated A lute- just pretend
to play a guitar with a 7th, high "a" string. Having bass viol
experience made reading "D" bass lute from staff workable. But the
pain in the butt factor is obvious- that's why a system that
essentially uses a blueprint of what goes on on the fingerboard is so
all inclusive and wonderful, at least for solo music reading pleasure
and learning. The important thing, of course, is that you are
playing. Just don't restrict your options for chimerical reasons.