My university's spam filter seems to be a little overzealous at the moment.  I
don't seem to be picking up all of this discussion.

In addition to only archlute and mandolin, I think the few-course, lute-like
thing called "mandora" in some places at some times is worthy of consideration
for Vivaldi's "leuto" designation, especially given the dedications to Wrtby in
Bohemia (again, see Liefeld).

Another totally speculative possibility are the 5- to 7-course lute-sized
things built to very deliberately mirror the aesthetics of 18th-c. 5- and
6-course mandolini.  I've raised them here in the past and they have gotten
some decent speculative chat; that should be archived and searchable.  I'm
particularly fond of Martin's speculation, and it makes a nice parallel of
"leuto/liuto" as a late-baroque-but-renaissance-like incarnation of "archlute
light."  See:
<http://www.mail-archive.com/lute@cs.dartmouth.edu/msg20311.html>

Best,
Eugene