Dear all,
I know this subject has been discussed before, and I have recently followed
the interesting discussions on the d minor continuo lute
the last week. However, regarding the choice of rider vs. swan necked
instruments for solo work, I have checked the archives, but I still
have some doubts about the =8Cgeneral consensus' re: one or the other for late
works such as Weiss, Bach and others.
A number of modern players have dropped using the 13 course swan necked
instruments (like R. Barto) to the rider type for several musical and
technical reasons. O'Dette has also chosen a rider type for his Bach works
Vol. 1 (so far at least!) and there is a general feeling that the swan neck
variety
is more a continuo type instrument.
But my gut feeling (no pun intended!) is that the swan neck type was
primarily popular because it could use plain gut strings instead of any
overwinding
(of whatever type). I really see the smaller, circa 70cm (stopped) swan
necked instruments as really fitting that role.
To put it differently: could it be that the use of more modern stringing has
given an impression of =8Ctoo much sustain' and other such difficulties
with the 13 course swan necked instruments?
As yet I have never had a chance to hear one entirely strung in good gut.
Any comments insights on this point by the experts among you here would be
greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Theo