Denys,

I think most people would find Besard's tolerant attitude appealing.
Historical technique is not the only thing that matters. I am happy to
listen to fine playing by a good musician, even if he/she has made some
perfectly reasonable practical compromises about technique. I certainly
don't want the authenticity police to start to range the lute world-though
at times in the recent past, the attitude of the "thumb under rules" school
has had a rather Victorian complacency to it. I remember a student returning
form a course with a Famous Lutenist around 1994, who had told him that he
found it hard to believe that that people were still playing thumb out!

Remember, however that Besard's instructions date from 1603 or earlier-right
in the middle of the technique changeover. For most of the music in Varietie
of Lute Lessons, or Thesaurus Harmonicus, I'd be fairly happy to play either
thumb out or thumb under-though of course Besard does actually argue for
thumb out. Later writers, for example Vallet and Stobeus are not so
tolerant. Perhaps the reason for this is that musical styles began to change
to make use of the particular attributes of the newer technique. I have in
mind works like the Robert Johnson Fantasia, or the wonderful Fantasias of
Cuthbert Hely, which make great use of the contrasted registers of the lute,
and containing many passages of two note chords on courses 4,5,and 6,
together with a note on the diapason strings. I find that thumb out on gut
strings gives much greater clarity in such passages because the fingers are
striking the lower strings much closer to the bridge.

Thumb under seems to me to favour an equal balance between treble and
bass-the thumb is closer to the bridge relative to the fingers. Thumb out
seems to give more contrast between the registers of the lute-brighter
treble strings with warm basses. Good for dance music, and remember that
dance music seems to be at the core of the  English lute repertory in
Dowland's time. If I am right about the move towards greater contrast
between registers, then this change would also have been accentuated by the
move away from octave bass stringing, which Dowland documents.

Best wishes

Martin