On Dec 16, 2007, at 4:01 PM, Stewart McCoy wrote:

> Dear Howard,
>
> One of the most interesting sources which tell us how some people
> played the lute, is the Stobaeus Manuscript in the British Library.
> Apart from the music and lots of pretty pictures, there is an
> introduction about lute-playing, which includes a section on the
> use of the right hand. From this we learn, for example, that
> Laurencini played thumb-outside. All the relevant information,
> including the original words in German and my attempt at a
> translation, were posted to this list on 22nd June 2001. Markus
> Lutz corrected a slip in the translation, and the thread continued
> for a few days. The subject heading was "Dowland made the change
> from thumb in to thumb out".

You will likely find my name on a few of the posts (do you still have
an unabridged archive for this list?); I've Stobaeus around here to
someone on that point every couple of years.  But we can't assume the
extinction of any style of playing from the premise that another
style became popular or ascendant.  Try googling "surf bands."