"Singers are the best, because normally they don't know anything of
the rhythm and pulse; you normally will be the boss with the
singers..."

My experience has been that when playing with someone who has the
lead role and has to breathe, you are most definitely NOT the boss-
merely an at-will employee who can and will be terminated any time.
Even with the Soprano I Live With, and +30 years-old marriage
contract. The rhythm and pulse thing is sometimes a defense, however.