ANother detail- there were artist-engravers (like Dürer, Cranach, etc) that took care of having correct final product. These usually did pure engraving (mechanical incising that didn't involve etching with acid). As printmaking proliferated its quality and reliability deteriorated (happily not always). Later engravers that often relied on third party artwork, and there is no absolute guarantee that images or details therein face the right way.
RT
----- Original Message ----- From: "Roman Turovsky" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>; ""Mathias Rösel"" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, January 01, 2008 4:05 PM
Subject: [LUTE] Re: metal contraption/RH on the bridge?

To put it simply, the JG engraver had little motivation to portray the
pegbox with any realism, therefore neither he had any inclination to make
sure whether the lute was a mirror image or not. He engraved the text
correctly, so it could be read, but skipped a VERY CUMBERSOME STEP that
surely would greatly compromise the most important aspect- the likeness of
the sitter (drawing while looking into the mirror rather than your hands is
a nightmare).
(Trust me, I have done dry-point, etching, aquatint etc. an extraordinarily
irritating artform).
RT

To put an end to this daftness: the JG portrait is A PRINT OF AN ENGRAVED
PLATE, therefore it is a MIRROR IMAGE of the actual artwork,

Would you mind to tell us, of which painting this engraving is a copy? I
raise the question since, if the engraving is no copy, it cannot be
considered a mirror image.
Evidence for that assumption, i. e. that it isn't a copy, might be that
there is a text beneath it which is not mirrored.

Claiming that the master picture was mirrored implies that the engraving
contains a severe fault which would have striked any observer. Would
theengraving then have been published and, what's more, would it have
been designated, as it has been, with an inscription according to which
the engraving show a true picture of Jacques Gaultier?

Mathias

and there is
absolutely NO REASON to suppose that Jacques was a lefty.
And besides, as I recall, during the Baroque and earlier eras lefties were
not taught string instruments, and had to limit themselves to keyboards.
RT

----- Original Message ----- From: "Anthony Hind" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>