I think you've misinterpreted what I was trying to say; I'm sorry if I was at
all unclear. If you carefully read what I wrote, you'll note that I am also
talking about (and advocating) playing close to the bridge:  the point I was
trying to make was that with the little finger placed actually touching, on or
even behind the bridge,  then with thumb-under one is virtually plucking the
bridge itself (try plucking thumb-under with the little finger behind the
bridge) - it is this that I referred to when speaking about a harsh etc sound.
However, with thumb-over one the plucking position is slightly further away
(closer in fact to the 'lute' /'theorbo' stop of English harpsichords) and thus
one avoids, as you have found, such unpleastness.

  In short, I am suggesting that we ought to be plucking close to the bridge
but with thumb-over and that this may have been the principal reason for the
change from thumb-under.

Rob <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  Martyn,

I don't always agree that playing close to the bridge gives 'an unpleasant
harsh sound' to use your words. With lower-tension gut strings, the sound
can be quite warm as well as clear. Please listen to the chaconne I recorded
just two days after getting my new 11c - the performance isn't great, but
the sound is OK, at least to my ears. I won't be offended at all if you
think it harsh and unpleasant: http://www.rmguitar.info/Maler.htm - scroll
to near the bottom of the page, just above the photo of me grinning like an
idiot.

I should mention that I have since moved my little finger a cm or two
towards the rose, but not as close as the position on said photograph. I
should also add that I have never played thumb-in, as I find it impossible.

Rob

www.rmguitar.info