I'm wondering how many of the early publications for a 'theorbo' (various
spellings) or chitarrone were actually for large 10c bass lutes with
re-entrant tunings?

I wonder about this too! As far as I know, Kapsberger's Libro primo for
chitarrone is for a 10-course instrument.

You can find an answer at p. 42 and 43 of my work.
Kapsberger's Libro primo  is for a 11-course instrument.
However, it's interesting the use in the toccata VI (p.14, 7th line of the page, 4th bar) of a small number 14 for the 14th string.
From the music, it's clear that it's not a bass G, but a high g sharp (a
semiton higher than the 7th).
If the use of a 14th string as an f sharp is not so uncommon in archlutes, is the only occurence I know in theorbo music. Two other considerations are obviouse: no italian theorbo music (except Bartolotti, not really italian in his style) asks for a fretted 7th course (Bartolotti needs 7th and 8th) and the most of survived instruments are for 6+8 courses.
Also if Kapsperger asks for a 14th course why doesn't he use 12th and 13th?

Diego