Thank you all for your comments. As a musicologist, I don't always
agree with my colleagues, but of course I respect their work.
The partial list I mentioned in my original post

Snip
  Atton,  Ecco, Hoess,
Kaiser, Aman, Koch, Langenwalder, Attore, Mascotto, Stehelin, Greiff,
Hoffmann,Tieffenbrucker, and a big bunch of later ones. They can't
all be fakes.
Snip

is not only a significant historical record, but reflects what the
iconography clearly shows. They came in all sizes.
The "uniformity" rule is clearly in play here, and any statement that
"theorbos were all larger, mostly larger" etc, has to deal with the
uniformity rule, which is almost
always accurate in that the past is simply not uniform, but diverse,
just like the lute list.

Even if only one instrument from one of the makers listed above
survived, if it were a great instrument (and the lesser
Tieffenbrucker, C47, is a great instrument),
that would be enough, because of course there would have been more:
surviving instruments are just placeholders; but there are more anyway.

Assuming that there was no "one size fits all", there must have been
solo size, chord size, and one-line size instruments, to do just
that. Plus smaller instruments for higher pitches and larger
instruments for lower pitches.
Conflating the sizes does not reveal the difference; rather it
conceals the variety of form and function.
And that is exactly what the historical record shows. The smaller and
medium sized instruments in musea cannot be ignored, they should be enjoyed

Conflation is the biggest problem. The historical record shows
approximately twelve types of extended lutes, in various sizes and
dispositions. Conflating all these into one "ubertheorbo", however
large, consigns the historical record
to insignificance, rather than elevating it to illumination.

We all have different perspectives; mine is to get more people to
play, and play better. Most theorbos are too heavy and have playing
problems--that's important as well. Did they have overweight theorbos
back then?
Absolutely. And after 40 years of playing, you might go for a lighter
one. Would an older  historical player have felt the same?

I think if one wants to help promote the theorbo, a website is great.
Maybe start with a list of all the different sizes, Pohlmann could
use an update. The list will be large, and diverse, or it will be incomplete.

Of what use is a preselected list for study?

As for whether I can handle a larger instrument, well, I await the
"Lauten Werfen" in the next Olympics, or perhaps I should say
"ge yo swo chang" since it will be on the mainland.

dt