Dale,

--- Dale Young <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> They may well be the most difficult
> lute pieces to play, well,
> ever. (excepting transcriptions of the Mahler
> symphonies, of course.)

I don't know about that.  Once you achieve general
mastery of the instrument (as opposed virtuosity) the
pieces aren't so hard.  (I'm still working very hard
and hope someday to actually acheive "general mastery"
of the instrument, by the way.)  Sure, there are the
awkward parts - I love the extreme impracticality of
the chord played on courses 5, 8 and 10 at the same
time, for example.  The sudden juxtapositions of
dynamic changes are loads of fun to make your lute do,
too.  The huge range and particular concentration on
melodies in the bass register make for lots of work
with the right hand.  The unusual style is difficult
at first, but this is just because as lute players
we're not used to the "rules" of this music.  Maybe
I'll eventually even understand it.

>          Mr Wilke's performance is the first I have
> heard and I found it
> quite satisfying. His phrasing and voicing choices
> were very appropriate. He
> pulled off the technically challenging parts
> cleanly, all the odd, high
> position barre-chord leaps, double-stop trills, and
> awkward turns .

Thanks!

>     His interpretation of some of the ornaments and
> articulations though
> (multiple strikes on simple appogiaturas and
> overlooking of some staccato
> marks) gave me pause.

While, I'm not sure I agree with you, I can buy your
interpretation of the appogiatura vs. trill arguement.

As for the staccato marks, it is difficult to make
sense of them.  Everyone one of the chords marked with
a "staccato" also has an "appogiatura from below"
symbol.  Very, very difficult to play this truly
staccato without making it sound unmusical like
someone just choked the singer!  I believe that
Straube here really means "definately observe the
silence of the rest following my mark," i.e. no
ringing.  That's what I did anyway.

> But, hell... in the words of
> Bob Barto "It's hard."
> And he played it better than I ever will.
>   Keep the cadenza too! Bravo!!

Thanks again.  Its been fun stuff to play.

>    Yeah Dan, better than old sequencemeister,Weiss.

Fightin' words.

>                      Dale

Looking for last minute shopping deals?
Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.