> I have made the point before that we would expect an instrument
> designed to be played at AF6 to have strings about 83% the length
> of an instrument designed to be played at A=390.  If so, all other
> things being equal, you'd expect that a 76cm instrument designed for
> AF5 to be tuned the same way as a 92cm instrument designed for
> A=390.  Whether this was historically the case is a matter of
> speculation.

This got garbled in transmission; some server somewhere translated my
"[equals sign] 4" as an F something.  I'll try to do an immune
version here:

we would expect an instrument
designed to be played at A equals 466 Hz to have strings about 83%
the length
of an instrument designed to be played at A=390.  If so, all other
things being equal, you'd expect that a 76cm instrument designed for
A equals 466 to be tuned the same way as a 92cm instrument designed for