I had a very pleasant evening on Saturday with my harpsichord-making friend,
Grant O'Brien, and his friends, including a short recital on one of his
harpsichords by Lucy Carolan, a first-rate player. Grant and I got to
talking about lute and harpsichord making in Italy, and he revealed a couple
of interesting points:

1. all Italian harpsichords had fir soundboards, not spruce, as found north
of the Alps. Did I know of any fir-soundboarded lutes? Well, I didn't. Can
anyone contribute something here?

2. the tiorbino: here is a fascinating article from Grant's website,
discussing a keyboard instrument called the tiorbino, apparently gut-strung,
like the lautenclavier:
http://www.claviantica.com/Publications_files/The_Tiorbino/The_tiorbino.htm -
I love the part where a buyer asks the maker to build another one if the
first one goes out of tune! A great idea, albeit somewhat expensive...

Although these are keyboard topics, I'm sure they will be of interest to
some here.

Rob MacKillop