On 2/5/2008, "Herbert Ward" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Is there a continuous range of technique from thumb-in to thumb-out?
> Or is there a no-man's land between the two where it is difficult to
> play?

Been there. Fun.  ;-)
I think there is not so huge difference between t-out and  t-in as many
seem to think; when playing the big beasts I keep the instrument more
upwards, but the position of the right hand stays about  the same as
with 6-courser, which is staying more horizontal.  Even the thumb-index
runs work the same way. And well, yes, there is the tiny no-mans land,
where the thumb and index collide, but it is actually very tiny... And
btw, I think the difference between those two ways is minimal compared
to the modern guitar technique.

All the best,

Arto