Sorry I forgot about the accents, correction of the problem passage:

This sort of change, losing an unaccentated syllable, is quite
regular in many languages, so we get "Pava" through <Pa(do)va>. This
is basically the same process as the derivation of  French "pere" and
"mere", which are derived respectively from Latin "patera" & "matera"
through AF <pe(de)ra>  &   <pe(de)ra> (the /t/ becoming a very loose
[d] in the intermediary form <pedera>, just as it does in English in
American <writer>.
<Paduana>  would be also be a variant of (Padovana), but with a
weakening of the pronunciation of the [v] between two vowels (as
frequently is the case in Spanish for example).
These are all systematic variations that can be found in many
languages, and such processes are entirely regular and to be expected.
AH