From: "Stuart Walsh"
To: "Arthur Ness"
Cc: "Lute Net"
Sent: Saturday, February 09, 2008 4:29 PM
Subject: [LUTE] Re: Brescianello (was) Re: mandora/gallichon music

Magnatune have released an album by the Polish ensemble, Nova Casa and
they play some Brescianello. The tracks are here:

http://magnatune.com/artists/albums/novacasa-leclair/

I've just been listening to the Concerto Terzo - and I've been plonking
through the 18 Sonatas for gallichon, on a modern reproduction of a
gallichon.

Just a quick, amateur reaction - the concerto and the gallichon sonatas
do seem to come from different worlds. Maybe I've got two entirely
different Brescianellos mixed up! Anyway, the concerto
with harpsichord and theorbo continuo, seems wholly 'Baroque' in
conception but the sonatas seem much more 'modern'.

Or maybe other people would disagree? Or maybe he wrote the gallichon
sonatas at the end of his life (a bit like Geminiani writing fro the
English guitar).

Stuart