Dear Martin
Thank you for the additional details. It is a very interesting experience and I agree with you, the more timbral variety the better. When we think how many lutes must have been lost, and how few of the ones that have survived are now copied, it seems we are unnecessarily reducing our tonal palette. Nevertheless, I admire those like Sterling Price who have the courage to tackle a 76 cm Edlinger, and I just stand in awe at the 82 cm model.

Your recording is very convincing. While all three lutes sound good (and I do like the Gerle model), the longer string length seems to have more expressive capability, as Jacob Heringman once told me. He also added that the hand quickly becomes used to the longer stretch. Having heard his Sienna recording, I was sorely tempted by a longer string length lute, such as a 70c 6C Warwick, or a 67cm 7C Venere C36; but in the end I played safe, and went for the ubiquitous (if excellent) 60 cm 7c Gerle, which I also heard on that recording.

If you can only really afford one Renaissance lute it takes some courage to go for one of those big models, and what I did as an amateur does not really matter; but it would be excellent to see more performers specializing sufficiently to investigate more tonal variation, with differing string lengths and less well known models, as Jacob Heringman did in the Sienna, and Martin has done, here.

I am really enjoying your postings, Martin.
Best regards
Anthony