I'm not a dance expert but I believe the cinquepace, sinkapace,
cinque pas, etc, is the five steps
to the tourdion and the galliard--cinque pas literally five steps. It
is mentioned in Shakespeare, Caroso, and Arbeau, for starters.

There are many regional variations; for some nice examples, lucid
descriptions and drawings look at the introduction to the Daniel
Heartz editions of Attaingnant.
dt