I don't use a strap for theorbos or archlutes, the necks are made
very light (a good idea anyway)
so that the instruments balance. Historically, you do see straps, but
the neck angle is usually different from modern practice.
At an angle slightly less than 45 degrees, you may see improvement in
the left hand, but it depends on the intrument, the player, etc.
At an angle greater than 45, which is more modern practice, more of
the weight sits on your leg, but it is not necessary with lighter construction.
It is quite possible that the angle will affect the projection of the
sound, depending on the orchestra or ensemble seating, a greater
angle puts more of the instrument higher.
However, a small platform will do this even better and make you feel
quite regal :)
Some modern players use a cantilever technique which is quite clever
for the strap, although it may affect the left hand slightly.

Very nice lute straps are made by Gottlieb for renaissance lutes, I
don't use them but I have seen them and they are very nice.
dt