Valery,

      So, whadaya say we talk about the performance
rather than the national identities of the
performers...

     I thought the performance overall was very nice.
Fluid runs from both performers and the phrasing was
nicely handled.  I liked the fact that - unlike so, so
many lutenists - they weren't overly careful to the
point of turning it into an exercise and brought some
energy to the piece.

    There was a bit of a syncronization problem with
most of the cadential trills, but that's not a big
deal for me.  (Very difficult to do convincingly
anyway: the theorbo has cross-string campanella trills
while the tiorbino has trills slurred on a single
string.  Castaldi wrote it that way, but I wonder
why.)  My biggest problem was that the
archlute/archlute-tuned-like-a-tiorbino, played thumb
under, sounded _so_ much like a renaissance lute.
Granted, there are a lot of runs in there and playing
this sort of thing thumb-under is easier to do and
produces a nice tone.  Unfortunately, in this case it
also makes the part too linear and brings it out in
relief against the "backdrop" of the theorbo part.
This to me destroyed the feeling of an equal duo and
essentially turned the piece into a tiorbino solo with
elaborate but secondary theorbo accompaniment.  If
Pornon would have done her thing alternating index and
middle fingers, it would have sounded a lot more
"baroque-y," too.

    All in all, it was a good performance, however,
and fun to listen to.

Chris

--- Valéry Sauvage <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  Speaking of Live performance taken with a zoom h2,
> here is one at the lute
> days in Toulouse with Beatrice Pornon (teacher in
> Toulouse conservatory)
> playing the archlute, and Laurence Postigo playing
> the Theorbo (teacher at
> the Bordeaux conservatory)
> Capriccio svegliatoio by Bellerofonte Castaldi
> http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=S4VRcr8d6oo
>

> Val ;-)

Looking for last minute shopping deals?
Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.