David,

     Nice photo - lookin' good!

* Disclaimer: smart-assness ahead.

     Unfortunately, you've ignorantly strung the large
instrument with only wimpy single strings.  Current
interpratation of the evidence now dictates that these
theorbos must at least be set up with four, five or -
preferably - six strings per course, including all the
diapasons.  For the most scholarly rigorous
individuals among us, this means EIGHTY-FOUR strings!
(A truly significant expense, given the cost of gut
strings the diameter of sewer pipes.  But _so_ worth
the academic superiority.)  Obviously these will be
unisons throughout, ambiguous evidence
notwithstanding.  This makes for a theorbo that is
totally impossible to keep in tune or even play, but
what a tone!

Chris  >;-)

--- David Tayler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> People have been asking if I also play these larger
> Theorbos,
> So I have a picture of the largest one.
>
> http://www.voicesofmusic.org/klaus%20theorbo.html
>

> At a length of 1400 centimeters (48 feet or so) it
> is basically
> all-reentrant., or subentrant.
> Currently strung in boat catline, from the pirate
> wreck that had the
> dulcian on board.
> The original rose was taken intact from a wooden
> cathedral in
> Grenouille, France, famous also for the "Fourth
> Bear."
>
> There is also the tiorbinunculus at the bottom, only
> a few
> centimeters long, a precise 1/50th scale of the
> larger one, used once
> in the recording of Telemann's
> "Gulliver's Travels." The tiorbinunculus is of
> course exactly the
> size that it appears in the Praetorius book in that
> it will fit
> easily on one page.
>
> Note that these measurements, like the new Talbot
> interpretations,
> are of the whole body, not just the string length,
> which allows the lowest notes to be above the
> audible threshhold of 20Hz.
> Takes a bit of getting used to.
> dt

Be a better friend, newshound, and