The Barley pieces are thin and range from simple
tunes to the Dowland Go from my Window.  But I am
not sure that the thin is an especailly
orpharion-esque aspect.  On my Rose orpharion
full 5 and 6 course G and C chords sound
great.  To fine tune this idea a bit, you might
notice more on the wire strings if the bass note
in a chord has to end because of left hand
fingering, than you would on a lute.

About the temperment - isn't this more of a
question about the intonation problems that the
instrument is known for, at least in the last 50
years.  My experience in playing only orparhion
and not lute is that you have to be a lot more
precise in your left fingers placement and in
some cases practice music to learn how to play
certain notes in tune.  For instance, several
years ago, every time I came across F chords that
included f frets, I would switch them and play
another F chord with more open strings. The same
went for E flat chords - a lute tple placement of
the finger playing the bass note usually resulted
in intonation problems.  More recently I have
been able to play those chords in tune.  But like
David says this is hard to quantify.

About the 7th course -   I've always thought that
just because we have 3 extant orpharions doesn't
mean that they were all like those. I assume
there would have been 7 and 8 course instruments as well as the 6 and 9.

The English arpeggio division that have
interested me in terms of sounding great on
orpharion include Arthur's Dump (Marsh Ms),
Thomas Robinson's  Spanish Pavan and the Old
Spanish Pavan from Wickhambrook, among others.
Nancy

> [...]
> >have not come up with specific traits that make those pieces
> >orparhion pieces rather than lute pieces.  That said, I have put a
> >bit of thought into what makes a good orparhion piece and how it's
> >different from something written for lute.
> >
> >I've spent the last 4 years playing only orpharion and my opinions of
> >what is harder to pull off on orparhion than lute have changed a bit
> >over the years. I still would want to avoid a lot of chords that
> >require barring across all 6 courses. There are too many places where
> >the finger placement or pressure is not quite right, so that all the
> >notes don't ring clearly.  Several years ago I would have said that
> >scale passages that went down to the 5th and 6th courses were hard to
> >pull off because the wound strings sounded a bit different, but more
> >recently (with more practice) I don't think those runs are really a problem.
> >
> >One clear place where the orpharion excels is in playing on high
> >frets.  l,m, n, etc are on the neck and not the belly of the
> >instrument.  Another idea I have thought about a bit is music where
> >chords are broken or arpeggiated as a style of division.  Cathy
> >Liddell pointed out to me that some of these places were English
> >precursors to style brise, rather than straight arpeggios, so I am
> >not sure that has anything to do with music meant for orpharion.
> >
> >I hope some other people with come up with some ideas of what to look
> >for. This is a really interesting topic.
> >Nancy Carlin
> >

> > >Perhaps I am imagining this, since it has been at least 25 years
> > >since I read through the Holborne dissertation, but aren't there a
> > >few orpharion pieces?
> > >Also, the extremely broad generalization that there is nothing to
> > >distinguish the lute repertory from the orpharion repertory certainly
> > >is highly suspect,
> > >since Barley himself states that they are different. One would have
> > >to really go through every piece to look for other differences, such
> > >as the avoidance of certain chords or textures.
> > >The Barley pieces do look a bit lighter on the monster chord side of
> > >things, but only a detailed analysis would show whether there is a
> > >meaningful difference, and this would include ornament signs,
> > >temperament, chords,
> > >crossover points, ficta, fingering, bass-tenor groupings, etc., etc.
> > >This would to a degree depend on the different versions of Orpharia.
> > >
> > >The conflation of of lute hardware in scholarship is one of the big
> > >challenges: The past represents diversity; the analyses uniformity.
> > >dt
> > >

> > >To get on or off this list see list information at
> > >http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~wbc/lute-admin/index.html
> >
> >Nancy Carlin Associates
> >P.O. Box 6499
> >Concord, CA 94524  USA
> >phone 925/686-5800 fax 925/680-2582
> >web site - www.nancycarlinassociates.com
> >Administrator THE LUTE SOCIETY OF AMERICA

Representing:
FROM WALES - Robin Huw Bowen, Crasdant, Neil &
Meg Browning's Never Mind the Bocs & Carreg
Lafar,  FROM ENGLAND - The City Waites, Jez Lowe,
& Jez Lowe & The Bad Pennies,  FROM FRANCE -
Gabriel Yacoub, FROM SPAIN - La Musga=F1a and now
representing EARLY MUSIC - The Venere Lute Quartet and Paul Beier